Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Yeasted Waffles

Yes, we have a little waffle king here and yes, we love chocolate waffles and cake waffles, but these waffles are in a totally different category.  Dare I say the best tasting waffles ever!  The batter calls for a couple of teaspoons of yeast which adds such an amazing artisan bread like flavor. The texture is light and crisp. Everyone was ohhing and ahhing at the table.  After Ian polished off two and a half he said "life is good."  Even Katie had more than one, which is unheard of.  The recipe requires a little bit of advance planning.  You do need to mix up the batter the night before, but it doesn't take long at all.  The next morning you just add a couple of ingredients and voila it is ready to be made into delicious waffles.  Typically when I make waffles I place a platter in a 175 degree oven.  As the waffles are done I place them on the platter, so we can eat all together.  I found that these waffles didn't hold that well for me.  So next time, and there will be a next time I will make a couple and serve them right away.
Run, don't walk to the store and get yourself some yeast and make these waffles for your Saturday morning breakfast, because life is good!

Yeasted Waffles

1/2 cup warm water
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 cups skim milk warmed
8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour (I like unbleached)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Combine water and yeast in a large mixing bowl and let sit for five minutes.  Please make sure you use a large mixing bowl, the batter will rise and you don't want to wake up to a mess on your kitchen counter.  Add the milk, butter, salt, sugar, and flour to the bowl.  Whisk until blended and smooth.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature overnight.
Add the eggs and the baking soda right before you are ready to make the waffles to the bowl.  Whisk until smooth and well blended.  The batter is thin, but don't worry that is the way it should be.  Add the batter to your waffle iron according to your manufacturer's directions. Cook until crisp and light brown.  Serve immediately.

Enjoy!
Rach

Source:  Barely adapted from Annie Eats

6 comments:

TaDa! Creations said...

Oh, you had me at WAFFLES! We will definitely be making these this Saturday. And maybe even tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe!

Mama J said...

Never heard of yeasted waffles before. Can't wait to try them!

Young Adventures... said...

I had never heard of putting yeast in waffles either. I'm sure glad I tried the recipe! I think you both will enjoy these.

Mama J said...

These were great. Different enough from the recipe I normally make that I'd like to keep making both. They were very light and crispy. I used some whole wheat flour and half the amount of butter. They were delicious. I'm sure if I went with the full amount of butter they would have been over the top delicious. ;)

Young Adventures... said...

Glad you liked them. Brian and Katie are very "anti" whole grains. I've been meaning to sneak some whole wheat pastry flour into a few recipes, but have yet to try it. I will have to use half the butter next time, thanks for the tip!

Mama J said...

Yes, I'd be curious to know how different they compare to the full amount of butter. Let me know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...