Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Eleanor Roosevelt's Angel Food Cake with Pink Clouds



At school Ian had been reading Eleanor and Amelia go for a ride. Apparently at the end of the book there is a recipe for Eleanor Roosevelt's Angel Food Cake with Pink Clouds, and Ian of course asked me to make it.
Everyone in our family loves angel food cake, but I have never made one from scratch. 
We loved the flavor of this cake, and my family didn't say anything about the texture.  I thought the cake could have had more height and been lighter.  This was probably more me, than the recipe though.  The "pink clouds" are very pretty and add a special touch.


Eleanor Roosevelt’s Pink Clouds on Angel Food Cake



1 cup cake flour  (Sift before measuring).
1-1/4 cups egg whites (10 or 12 eggs)
1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon almond flavoring
1/4 teaspoon salt

Angle Food Cake
Sift flour at least 2 times and set aside.
Beat egg whites with beater until foamy.
Add cream of tartar and 1 cup of sugar gradually to the egg whites. Continue beating until egg whites stand up in peaks.
Add almond flavoring. Sift remaining 1/2 cup of sugar with salt and add flour and very gradually fold into egg whites
Bake in tube pan in 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes.

Whipped Cream and Strawberries (Pink Clouds)

1 pint strawberries cut in half
1/2 pint heavy cream, whipped
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar




Spoon on top of Angel Food cake.

Fold berries into whipped cream. 





Source: Lightly adapted Taste of Home

4 comments:

Jill said...

This looks like such a great dessert for summer. So pretty. I love that you made this based on something Ian is learning in school!

Tonya said...

Now that sounds delish! Especially the topping! I suppose if the cake didn't come out as you had hoped, you could buy one and just make the topping (well, that gives me an idea for a wonderful dessert :)

Joe Ambrosino said...

I love Eleanor Roosevelt.

Lisa said...

Yum! I love all your recipes - they all look so good and inspire me to cook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...