Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Simple "Cheater" Churros


Ian came home a few weeks ago with a small post-it note that said "churros" on it. He stuck out his hand and gave it to me and promptly asked if I had heard of churros before.  I told him I had heard of them but never tried one.  He described in great detail about one of the little girls in his class who had brought them and how delicious they were.  Then he asked me so sweetly if I could make them for him.  Well, how is a Mom supposed to resist that.  So, I was on a mission to find I recipe that I wanted to try. 
Traditionally churros are made from a sweet dough and fried, then coated with cinnamon sugar.  Many versions also pipe the dough through a pastry bag, so the final outcome looks like a cigar shape.  Well I wanted to find a baked version.  I looked and looked and finally I found one I thought would be good, but I was not looking forward to pulling out the pastry bag. 
But then, Sue from Munchkin Munchies posted a recipe for cheater churros.  I decided this would be the way to go.
Oh, and it sure was the way to go.  Not only was Ian delighted and excited but the rest of the fam as well.  But then, who doesn't love puff pastry coated with butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar??  Plus this recipe was so, so easy!  The hardest part...remembering to take the dough out of the freezer to thaw in your fridge the night before.

Oven Baked Churros

1 sheet of puff pastry thawed ( I used pepperidge farm)
1/8 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp.cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Unfold the puff pastry and cut it half half length-wise. Cut each half into 1-inch strips.  I placed my strips on a stoneware pan.  If you don't have one, lightly grease a sheet pan and line with parchment paper.  Bake for 10 minutes or more until lightly golden brown.

While the churros are baking mix together the cinnamon and sugar.  Remove the churros from the oven and using a pastry brush coat them with butter on one side then immediately sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Let them sit and cool for about 5 minutes.  Serve warm.
Enjoy!
xoxo
Rach
This recipe shared with The Country Cook, A Peek Into My Paradise

11 comments:

Mama J said...

Ooooooo...... yum.

Jill said...

These look great and oh so easy!

Lisa said...

Those look great! Thanks for sharing the recipe - I'm going to try them the next time I make my easy-peasy enchiladas! Yum!

Joe Ambrosino said...

I always stock puff pastry in my freezer for quick desserts. Sounds like Ian's mom is always ready to please her son. Lucky kid!

Patti Hanan said...

Churros are very popular here. How great to find an easy recipe. Thank you!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a great idea! These certainly looks delicious and if they pleased your little guy all's well in the world. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Becky (So Very Blessed) said...

Ooo...that sounds tasty! And how sweet of him to bring the idea to you on a post-it note!

Sue said...

I'm glad they worked out for you! They look Fabulous! Thnaks for the link-love:)

AmyD said...

Oh, my goodness…. those look f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s! And so easy…. I am totally trying to make these. I am not known for my abilities in the kitchen. But I do think I can cook and party plan like Martha Stewart. Your blog inspires me that I can do it. I am going to challenge myself to make these and surprise my little family with something yummy and cooked by me! They will be shocked!

Buckman Family said...

Delish and easy!!! What a nice mama you are to make them for Ian!

Unknown said...

Yum!

I would love for you to link up to my TGIF Link Party! Who knows, you just might be featured next week!

http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-peek-into-my-paradise-tgif-link-party.html

Cathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...