Thursday, May 19, 2011

Salted Caramel Ice Cream


For those of you that have been around for awhile you know that I love ice cream, and need no encouragement to eat it.  For some reason though, I forgot about my ice cream maker. 

I'm going to try to make more ice cream at home this summer.  I had the perfect opportunity the other day, because I had leftover salted caramel and some egg yolks left over from making an angel food cake.

I can't pick a favorite flavor it just wouldn't be fair to the others, but this is at the top of the list for sure!  Salty caramel + cream = heaven.

Salted Caramel Ice Cream
I use skim milk in my ice cream which is kind of taboo, but it suits us just fine.  If you want a more creamy, rich ice cream use  whole milk. After the mixture was chilled I notice a skin formed on top.  I just stirred it in and once churned there were no problems.

1 cup cream
2 cups skim milk divided
5 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla or half of a vanilla bean cut in half and seeds removed

Get out a bowl that will hold all of the mixture once it is cooked. In that bowl place 1 cup of the milk,and place a mesh strainer on top of the bowl. 
Heat the cream in the microwave until very warm and set aside.  Meanwhile place the salted caramel in a 2 quart sauce pan and slowly heat up until warm, slowly add the cream and whisk in.

In a separate bowl whisk the yolks. Slowly add a small amount of the caramel/cream mixture and whisk constantly until combined.  Then put the yolk mixture back into the saucepan.  Cook the custard using a heatproof utensil stirring constantly and scraping the bottom as you stir until the mixture thickens.  I also use a thermometer, when it reaches 160-170 it is done.

Pour the custard through the strainer into the bowl with the milk.  Add your vanilla and stir.  Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled about eight hours.

Freeze the custard in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.

Enjoy!

Source:Adapted from David Lebovitz



xoxo
Rachel

7 comments:

Mama J said...

Okay, it's time I broke down and got an ice cream maker. You had me at "salted caramel". By chance do you have the one that attaches to a Kitchen Aid? I was wondering if that worked well.

Young Adventures... said...

Mama J, you won't believe it but Brian got me our current ice cream maker between 14-15 years ago! It is a Krups and I don't think it is available anymore. When this one needs to be replaced I will get the kitchen aid attachment. A number of bloggers seem to have it and are happy with it. It also makes two quarts which is really nice.

Shannon said...

Mmmm that is my favorite ice cream flavor...

Team Gwoke said...

Sounds yummy!

Joe Ambrosino said...

Salted caramel sounds like just the thing the doctor ordered me away from. Where can I get it?
On another topic Rachel, The Splendid Table by Lynn Rosetto Casper has a good recipe for fresh ricotta- pretty easy to make.

Sue said...

This sounds divine!

Unknown said...

Oh that sounds SO good. We need to get our ic maker our. Maybe on Memorial Day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...