Monday, January 11, 2010

50 cookbooks


The Book: Best recipes from American Country Inns and Bed and Breakfasts, Kitty and Lucian Maynard


From: Brian P. for a birthday a few years ago. This is what he wrote in the front cover; Rachel, Happy Birthday! I love you and appreciate all you do to make our family work. You make us all happy. I think our marriage is special because we care about each other all day, everyday from Breakfast to Bed and back again. :) This why I thought this book was the perfect gift. I love you! Brian P.S. Check out pg. 449 (The bed and breakfast we stayed at on our honeymoon.)


I have to be honest, I have hardly used this cookbook. It certainly is not for a shortage of recipes (over 1500)! I have tried a couple but nothing very exciting. I am happy to say that I did find a winner in this one. We really liked these waffles, even Katie who is not a fan of breakfast food. As I was making these our home smelled like cake (see the ingredients). Brian thought they were nice and crispy on the outside. I will make these again for sure.


Recipe:

Amish Waffles

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup cake flour (sifted)

1 1/2 cups skim milk

2 1/2 tsps. baking powder

2 eggs, well beaten

5 tbs. melted butter

1 tsp. vanilla extract


Mix in order f lours, milk, baking powder, eggs, butter, and vanilla, just until smooth. Bake on a hot waffle iron according to manufacturer directions.

We served them with maple syrup.


The recipe comes from COUNTRY GARDEN BED AND BREAKFAST. They don't have a website but here is their info if you are interested. 805 1st Ave West Williston, ND 58801 (701) 774-9643. I have never been their myself, so I can't say anything about the Inn. The waffles though...GREAT!!


If you are interested we stayed at the White Lace Inn for our honeymoon. We have been back there once since. We have stayed in the main house and love the orchard and the Old Garden Roses room. It is sooo pretty, take a peak.


Have a great week!

xoxo

Rach
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...