Saturday, September 25, 2010

Wassail

I noticed this last week that PW is starting to post holiday recipes. She's the best isn't she!!! I thought it was a great idea, and I thought to myself I will follow suit. Even though our holiday menu stays pretty similar from year to year. We do tweak it, and start planning it out a few months in advance. Unfortunately I won't be making too many of these recipes before the holidays, therefore I won't be able to post photos until after. Sorry friends!!!

My dear friend Sandi, better known as Spunk to our alumni crowd (it's a long story) shared this recipe with me many years ago. I believe she received it from a co-worker. This wassail has weaved itself in and out of our holiday menu over the years. It is a nice alternative to apple cider. I always like to have something warm to to offer our guests when they arrive out of the brisk air into our home. If you make the wassail on the stove it scents the air beautifully. I don't think anything says Happy Holidays and welcome to our home better. It just warms my heart thinking about it.

Wassail

I like to serve this in small heat proof cups. Too much of a good thing can spoil the meal ahead
.

3 Sticks of cinnamon
1/2 gallon of good apple cider (we like Pepin Heights or Trader Joe's)
1 1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 pint cranberry juice


Heat over low heat and simmer.

xoxo
Rachel

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...