Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Date night


We were all craving cake tonight after dinner. Chocolate Cake to be specific. Mr. amazing drove all the way down here. He came back with two slices of their turtle cake and two yellow cupcakes with pink buttercream frosting. Yum!! I'm almost done with my piece. If you have never been to Latte as we like to call it, GO!

Last week for Date night he pulled out a cookbook that he gave me awhile back titled Fresh Indian. Since we both were craving Indian food we decided on Pork kheema with peas. I tend to be the one that makes the curry, and he won't make rice. He's afraid of a little rice...but he can make pie?!?!?! I'm not talking the instant stuff friends. We usually like basmati or jasmine. I also purchased some naan to go with it. We both really enjoyed this dish! It was very spicy just the way he likes it! I would maybe turn down the heat a bit. I didn't feel like making dessert so I picked up some mango sorbet, to cool our tongues down. We would certainly make this again. I don't remember my mom ever making curry with ground pork. The thing with curry is that it has many layers of flavors. I didn't get that with this recipe. My mom usually adds a cinnamon stick to the oil and keeps it in there while the curry simmers. I would maybe try that next time. We changed the recipe a bit, so I will post it here.

Pork kheema with peas

1 tbs. olive oil
2 garlic cloves finely chopped (I use a garlic press)
1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
1 tsp. garam masala
1 pound ground pork
2 1/2 cups frozen peas/carrots
3 tbs. red curry paste
1 tbs. tomato paste diluted with 2 tbs. water
2 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup boiling water
2 tbs. plain yogurt
handful of chopped cilantro leaves
salt

Heat the oil in a large saute pan, when it is hot, add the garam masala. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until you can smell the spice. Add the garlic jalapenos, ground coriander and pork. Stir-fry over high heat for 4-5 minutes until the meat is sealed and lightly browned.
Stir in the peas, curry paste, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and sugar. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes and then add the water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat, and cook gently for 8-20 minutes or until the meat is tender. Remove from the heat, stir in the yogurt and the cilantro, season if necessary, and serve with naan and rice.

After dinner we had some extra time, so we decided to...color his hair! Yes, friends you heard me correctly. Earlier in the week he brought home a box of color and was walking around saying "I'm going back in black." I was really surprised by this turn of events. He has been very anti the whole hair color thing, to much work to maintain, etc... I have to admit I also was not too excited about this. I'm used to the "silver." My sisters were against it, by BFF thinks silver is HOT! He said it would grow back, so I went along reluctantly.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

We left a lot of the silver in. He wanted to go all black, but I wasn't ready to have "Edward" lying next to me. We'll go a little darker next time. I think he looks Smokin' Hot!!
What you have all been waiting for Secret #2...talk. We all know that communication is critical in marriage, so I won't go on and on about this. Do you remember when you where dating and you would walk hand in hand and share your dreams, fears, and joys. That is what I am talking about. I love lying next to him at night as we share our dreams. The ones that have come true, the ones that have not been realized yet, and the ones that won't come true. It is still fun to dream. When he tells me he has a big presentation on something that really isn't his thing, but he's taking one for the team. He's complaining because he has to wear a suit and tie. The room will be hot and he will be sweating like a pig! I look at him and ask what time is the presentation, I will pray for you. How about when you lose a few pounds, or the CD that you have been waiting to come out is finally released, or you make a cake and it turns out great. Do you get excited over each other's little joys? Talk to one another...about the big things and the little things. It's one of our secrets. I love you Brian!

Holy Week

"Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them. "Sit here while I go over there and pray." He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me."
Going a little farther he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."
Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter. "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."
he went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done."
When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing. Then he returned to the disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Look, the hour is near, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinner. Rise, let us go! Here comes my betrayer!" Matthew 26: 36-46



xoxoxo
Rach

2 comments:

Kimberly Hurd Horst said...

So sweet! It is nice to have someone to share your dreams with.

It is painful when that dream keeper becomes a dream crusher though.

May you NEVER experience that.

I love curry....it is good for you!

Vivi said...

I have to tell you, I have not been a fan of curry in the past. But all these dishes that you talk about sound pretty amazing. Maybe I just haven't tried the RIGHT curry!

Love that he drove out to get cake. His hair looks very nice too.

Your communication tip and specifics are great reminders. You two seem to do such a great job of just making time for each other.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...