Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes and...God

Twice now we have been lucky enough to receive awesome blueberries in our fruit CSA. I decided that we needed some blueberry pancakes in our lives Sunday after church. Well, Brian and I anyway. The children..."on the side please."
For those of you that have a Rainbow near you blueberries are on sale this week. Wake up early this weekend and surprise your family. They'll love you more than they do already!!!

Blueberry Pancakes
adapted from Martha Stewart Favorite Comfort Food
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. brown sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cup skim milk
2 tbs. melted butter (plus more for your pan)
Blueberries
Heat a heavy skillet ( I use a cast iron griddle) until very hot. Whisk together flour baking powder, soda, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the beaten eggs, milk and butter; whisk to combine. Your batter should have small to medium lumps.
Heat your oven to the lowest setting (170 or so). Once your pan is hot enough butter the pan lightly. Place about 1/2 cup batter onto your skillet, in pools about 2 inches apart. Place the blueberries on top of the batter right after it is poured on the skillet. When the pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around the edges, about 2 1/2 minutes, flip over. Cook until golden on the bottom, about 1 minute.
Repeat with the remaining batter, keeping finished pancakes on a heat-proof plate in the oven.
I am continually amazed by God! Brian and I were having a bit of a heart-to heart last night. It was in regards to our not attending our church, and some of the hurt he was having regarding the transition. I was trying to be encouraging and listen, and was failing miserably.
This morning when I woke up I started to pray that God would heal his heart and fill it with his love and he would feel his presence. I then asked God to use me as his vessel to encourage him, because CLEARLY I couldn't do this on my own. I then turned over and looked at my darling husband and asked how he was doing? Like a child I thought he would say great, because I just prayed right? He said he felt the same. What?? I was so discouraged!!
We didn't have much time to chat, because "Uncle Shaney" was in town for a reunion and stopped by to have our favorite donuts with us.
Later in the afternoon, I was reading Quiet Life. One of my new favorite blogs.
From The Year of Living Biblically;
Andy, one of Jacob's spiritual advisers suggests that he read the Prophets.
"Try to make everything you do measure up to the moral standard of the prophets,"Andy told me. "Remember what Micah said. He said that the animal sacrifices weren't important. The important thing is to 'Do justice. And to love mercy. And to walk humbly with your God.
'"
And that my friends was God. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense to you. I don't want to share a lot of the negative feelings about this transition because it would only hurt people. Trust me though...when I read this it was like God was talking to me and telling me you asked to be my vessel, now pour out my love to your husband.
Please continue to keep us in your prayers. We have been "visiting" the same church for a little while now. It is nice, and we feel encouraged which is good.
xoxo
Rachel

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...