Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Namesake

My Ammachi (Dad's Mom), Rachel Varghese 2009.

I have many fond memories of my Ammachi. She lived with us for a number of years when I was young. I remember when one time the three of us girls sitting in the family room with her playing around and giggling. She was wearing white and sitting on the sofa. The sunlight filled the room with it's rays. I could feel the love she had for her eldest son's daughters. My Ammachi is a very petite woman. She is under five feet, and probably does not weigh 100 pounds. Even though she is small in stature, she is a ROCK!! I have a memory of her when she was in her seventies. We were visiting India and staying in my parent's home. The property is very lush. I tell Brian that the backyard is a jungle. It was a very hot and sunny day. I was in the backyard looking around. In the distance, I could see a small women pulling a cow through the "jungle." As she got closer, I noticed it was Ammachi! I couldn't believe that this small woman, my Ammachi was pulling this cow around the backyard! The greatest gift that she and my Appachen have given us is our Christian heritage. This is a gift that I do not take lightly. India is a Hindu nation. I am sure that my Grandparents had many hardships to overcome to bring their children up in Christ. My Ammachi is in her 90's now. She still visits the sick and prays with them. She still wakes up at the crack of dawn (literally) every day to worship and pray. She still attends church every Sunday. What an amazing faith she has. Talk about a Proverbs 31 woman! I asked my Mom if some day when she is gone if I could have her Bible. Not that I will be able to read it, but somehow having it will make me feel close to her...to feel her faith in Christ.

Thank you Ammachi for giving your family such an amazing gift. The gift of Christ's endless love for us. A gift that will pass on through the generations.

Love,
Rachel


4 comments:

TaDa! Creations said...

That was beautiful. And what a beautiful heritage she has passed down to you. You are truly blessed.

shana said...

What a great tribute to your grandma!
Enjoy the weekend!
Shana

Vivi said...

Wow - what a legacy.

Buckman Family said...

What a nice post on Ammachi she is an incrediable woman! You need to make sure that Dad reads it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...