Monday, December 7, 2009

Cookie Crisis

My friend Diane sent me an e-mail this afternoon inquiring about where I found the Holiday swirl chips. I purchased them at Super Target in January at 75%, they were very inexpensive! I bought a few bags and some other holiday sprinkles with the intent of using them for the holiday season this year. The bags don't say limited edition, and I didn't think they wouldn't have them at the stores, because I was pretty sure I had seen them in previous years. So I checked out Nestle's web site verybestbaking.com and couldn't find the chips. I also googled it and came up with nothing. So, I called Nestle's number to see what was going on. The woman I spoke with told me that they have been carrying the chips since 2006, but discontinued the morsels in 2009. You can still get the chips in pre-made cookie dough if you would like. I'm truly sorry about this! I didn't even cross my mind that they would discontinue making these chips. So I have a few suggestions for you. Here is the original recipe I posted (this recipe is NOT the same as the Toll House recipe).

Holiday chip cookies
1 cup butter softened, no substitutes
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup white holiday swirl chips
Pre-heat oven to 350. Mix butter, sugars, and egg. Add flour, soda, and salt. Stir is chips. Spoon teaspoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 12- 15 minutes.
Instead of the swirl chips substitute with 1 cup white baking morsels. This will give you the same flavor minus the color. My other idea is to use holiday m&m's. I have made this cookie recipe before substituting a bag of chocolate chips with an equal amount of m&m's. So here is my other idea...use 1 cup of white baking morsels instead of the swirled and 1 cup of the m&m's to replace the chocolate chips. I have not tried this combination together, but I think it should work.
I hope this gives you some ideas to work with. If you have questions or if you try of these ideas let me know how they work. Again, I'm really sorry about the confusion!
If you would like to see Nestle bring back these chips call them at 1-800-851-0512 they are open from 8am to 8pm M-F Eastern time. They will also send you some coupons and recipes.
xoxo
Rach

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...