Saturday, October 9, 2010

Holiday Recipes ~ Yankee Sweet Potatoes

Sweet potatoes, most people either love them or hate them. I had grown up with them gracing our table every Thanksgiving. My mom's recipe has a a pineapple brown sugar mixture baked on top and don't forget those gooey, toasted marshmallows.
I remember a time shortly after Brian and I were married. We had a friend over for dinner and I made a sweet potato recipe from Taste of Home. After our little party I asked him what he thought? "The sweet potatoes were too sweet." So, I began hunting for a new recipe. It didn't take me long to find one, and every year Brian requests this recipe, not to mention many other family members. My brother in-law who is a self-proclaimed "sweet potato hater" says, " these taste like the inside of a pie."
If you are looking for a new sweet potato recipe or in the "hate camp" give this recipe a try you might surprise yourself.

Yankee Sweet Potatoes
2 (16 oz.) cans sweet potatoes in light syrup, drained
1 cup thinly sliced apples (one that holds it shape like Granny Smith)
1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbs. butter
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cup walnut halves (optional, I never have used these)
Cut the sweet potatoes crosswise into 1/2- inch slices. Evenly arrange half of sweet potatoes in shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Top with all the apple slices. Layer remaining sweet potatoes over apples; reserve. In a small saucepan combine cranberries, brown sugar, butter and spices. Cook over medium-low heat until the butter melts. Stir mixture until blended. Evenly drizzle cranberry mixture over sweet potatoes. Please in a 350 oven for 20-30 minutes or until heated through. Serve warm.
Yummy!!
xoxo
Rachel

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...