Friday, April 1, 2011

Frozen Lime Coconut Tart


Even though the calendar claimed spring last week, the weather in the tundra has not followed.  I wanted to bring a taste of the tropics here and decided to make this little tart with a few twists.  The first time I made it I followed the recipe exactly.  This time I had some leftover coconut milk and decided to add that, and changed it from a pie to a tart. This is actually the perfect dessert for a hot day.  You hardly turn on your oven and it is frozen so it will help cool you down. I closed my eyes and as I took that first bite imagined myself on a warm tropical island.  The pie was cool and full of citrus zing with a touch of coconut.  Then I opened my eyes to reality.  Oh well, a girl can dream can't she?

Frozen Lime Coconut Tart
Next time I make this I will cut back on the fat and use non-fat sweetened condensed milk and lite coconut milk.  Although there is a 1/2 cup of coconut milk the coconut flavor is faint.  I thought coconut toasted and added to the crust might be good or even sprinkled on top.

Crust:

9 graham crackers (full sheets)
1/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Filling:

6 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 can 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
Zest of one lime
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice 
1/2 cup coconut milk (not cream of coconut)

Topping:
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl. Press into a 9-inch tart pan making sure the sides and the bottom are an even thickness. Bake for 10 minutes until firm and golden. Allow to cool completely.

Combine the yolks with the lime juice in a double boiler. Whisk constantly over medium-low heat until the mixture reaches 140 degrees. Place the egg mixture and the sugar in an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.  Mix on medium speed for 5 minutes until thick.  Add the sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk, and zest and mix until combined.  Pour into the prepared pie shell. 

For the topping, beat the  heavy cream and powdered sugar  until stiff peaks form.  Spoon onto pie.  Freeze for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.  The original recipe states that you can make this pie a month in advance. Enjoy!

Have a fun weekend!

xoxo
Rachel

Source: Ina Garten, Barefoot Family Style


4 comments:

Sue said...

Mmmmm, looks inviting:)

Omah's Helping Hands said...

Mmmmm that looks great and sounds so wonderful! What would you suggest using in place of the coconut milk? I'm allergic to coconut unfortunately. :( I love the smell of it too.
Tammy

Jackie said...

There's just one problem.... I would probably have to eat the whole thing, and that wouldnt be so good.

Heidi said...

Yum!! Going to try this one soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...