In an effort to reduce my grocery bill this past week, I raided the freezer. Talk about a treasure chest, I have some good eats in there. I found a bag of croissants and decided to change up a classic baked french toast recipe. I didn't know how this would go over with Katie and Ian, because they don't like croissants (I know crazy)! So, when they asked what's for dinner Mom? I said "baked french toast". Needless to say our home smelled amazing, and the children and Brian gobbled it up. I will make this again for sure, I think it is even nice enough for company. I hope you give it a try, I really think you will love it.
Croissant Breakfast Bake
3-4 large day old croissants
4 large eggs
1 3/4 cups of skim milk
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Grease a 2-3 quart baking dish ( I sprayed my dish, but found that it stuck quite a bit). Slice each of the croissants in half and then into 1 inch pieces. Place into the baking dish.
2. In a bowl beat the eggs, milk and vanilla. In another bowl mix together the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the sugar mixture to the egg mixture and mix well.
3. Pour the egg mixture over the croissants in the baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 325.
5. Uncover the dish and place on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Turn the heat up to 350 and bake for about another 25 minutes or until set. It will rise high and brown nicely.
6. Remove from the oven and allow it to rest for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
7. Serve warm with pure maple syrup.