Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Rhubarb Crumble


Before I share this favorite recipe with you, I wanted to pass along this tip that I learned a few weeks ago. After you finish using a stick of butter don't throw the wrapper away. Put it in a freezer bag, and place it in your freezer. When you need to grease a pan, take out a wrapper and rub it over your pan. I have used this method twice now, and it works like a charm! My hands don't get greasy and I don't have to use a paper towel and oil or butter. Try it you might like it.




I love rhubarb, do you? Thankfully both our parents have patches so we usually get some of their bounty. I really should grow my own plant, but I just can't seem to find a spot for it. I know we should also get some from our CSA this year as well. I actually had some in the freezer, so I thought I would make a crumble. Brian is not a big dessert guy, but he does like fruit desserts. This is a recipe I have been making for years, and it is my favorite. I hope you enjoy it!
Rhubarb Crumble
3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
4 tbs. butter
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
Place the rhubarb into a greased baking dish. Combine the sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle it over the rhubarb. Set it aside. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in brown sugar and oats. Sprinkle over rhubarb mixture. Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.
xoxo
Rachel

1 comment:

Vivi said...

I was just craving a rhubarb dessert yesterday - this sounds so yummy. I don't have a "rhubarb connection" like you do...I think I may just have to plant my own here soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...