Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Best, Basic Banana Bread

This is the first banana bread recipe I tried, and despite the others that I have made I always come back to this one. This is my Mom's recipe. I'm not sure where or who she got it from, but it is the one she always made and the one I feel in love with. Sure you can add chocolate chips or nuts to it, but I like it without any distractions. Make sure you have all of your ingredients at room temperature, before mixing.This recipe is easily doubled, and I frequently do just that. Freeze the extra loaf or give it away to a friend, she'll thank you for it.
Banana Bread
3/4 cup butter (nothing else will do)
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup mashed bananas
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup buttermilk or *sour milk
Heat the oven to 350. Combine the butter and sugar mix well. Blend in the bananas, eggs, and vanilla. Sift together the flour soda, and salt. Add alternating to the creamed mixture with the buttermilk. Blend until well combined. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake for 50-70 minutes depending on how large your pan is and how hot your oven runs. Check with a skewer, and it should come clean. I usually tent my pan with foil about half way to keep it from getting too brown.
*sour milk: In a measure cup put 1 tbsp. vinegar and a little less than a 1 tsp. vanilla fill with milk to 1/2 cup.
xoxo
Rachel

2 comments:

Joe Ambrosino said...

Don't you find that using really old bananas that have turned almost completely brown really kicks up the taste of this bread? I make banana buttermilk pancakes every Sunday and I always try to have an old one handy.

Joe Ambrosino said...

Yours for the asking:

http://youritaliangrandma.blogspot.com/2009/04/point-reyes-california.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...