Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Mushroom soup


I've probably told you this already but when I am preparing my menu for the week, I always ask my family for suggestions. A few weeks ago I did just that, "I'm making the grocery list, what do you guys want to eat?" All three of them suggested mushroom soup. I'm not referring to that congealed, gray mass that you get in a can. Last autumn, Brian made Ina Garten's Cream of Wild Mushroom soup. We all loved it, so I thought I would try to make it with my own spin. It was pretty good, everyone liked it. Ina's is definitely fancier, and very delicious. Mine is a good weeknight meal.
Mushroom Soup
Adapted from Ina Garten
2 packages of white button mushrooms
1 tbs. olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup red wine (I used frozen leftover wine)
one fresh thyme sprig, and 1 tsp leaves
Salt
Pepper
2 cups chopped leeks (white and light green parts)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup whipping cream
Clean the mushrooms. Separate the stems. Slice the mushroom caps into 1/4 inch slices, if they are too big, cut them into bite size pieces. Set aside.
Make the stock:
Place the olive oil in a stock pot, and heat. Add the mushroom stems, onions, sprig of thyme, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Cook over med- low heat for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Add 6 cups of water, bring to a boil, and reduce the heat, add the wine and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Strain out the vegetables, reserving the stock.
In another pot, heat a 2 tbs. olive oil and add leeks. Cook over low heat, until the leeks start to brown, about 15 minutes. Add the mushroom caps and cook for about 10 minutes until they are browned and tender. Add the flour and cook for about a minute. Gradually add one cup of water, and stir for until fully incorporated. Add the stock, remaining thyme leaves, 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the milk and cream, check the seasoning and heat through. Serve warm
Enjoy!
xoxo
Rach

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...