Monday, August 10, 2009

Our vegetarian adventure

I believe it was in January that I thought it might be "fun" to eat vegetarian for one month in 2009. I discussed this with Brian aka "the carnivore." He actually agreed, and thought it would be a good idea. We decided that August would be the month, due to all the great veggies that are available to us, from the farmer's market and our small garden.





We decided we wouldn't be strict about our adventure if we are in someone else's home or at an event. For example, Brian had his class reunion a week ago and we had hot dogs and hamburgers. We had dinner with some friends at their home and had chicken. If this was a lifestyle change it would be different, but since it is just for this month we don't want to inconvenience our friends and family.





I don't feel like it has been a huge change for us. We eat meatless at least half of the week anyway. For one particular member of our family it has been a little bit more of a challenge. I think that person has "I want what I can't have syndrome."



What I have loved about this adventure thus far is how it has challenged me in the kitchen. It has been fun packing vegetarian lunches for the kids. Katie's lunch looked something like this: Pita bread, hummus, avocado slices, fresh mozzarella string cheese, cucumber slices, blueberries, and a brownie. By the way she loved her lunch! Thinking up vegetarian meals for the whole week has also been fun too. I have been checking out a whole slew of vegetarian cookbooks at the library, and have found some that I really like. For dinner tonight we had scrambled eggs, Mexican black bean salad, cantaloupe, and tortillas. Ian being the "breakfast king" and all I knew he would like eggs for dinner, but I was pleasantly surprised when he told me he loved the black beans.

If you are interested in what we are eating for the week, take a look at our menu over at the left.

Here are some of my favorite "vegetarian" cookbooks.

Vegetable Harvest, Patricia Wells
A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen, Jack Bishop
The Flexitarian Table, Peter Berley

If you have any vegetarian recipes you would like to share, please do! Have a great week!







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...